Sunday, July 29, 2012

Final reflection

      Well this is one of my first online courses. I actually used a lot of online tools in the traditional setting. I came to find out that I had a hybred of sorts. I lacked the experience of those who are fully online. With the information I have about adult learners and their developmental differences, I can now incorporate materials that appeal to parents/college age learners better. I was scared to death of getting up to speed with some of the tools. It worked out wonderfully. In completing the lessons I had technical issues that made me very frustrated and I overcame my challenges with proficiencies in many new skills. I remember the first time I had issues uploading content because my computers date and time were incorrect. I worked around it as well as I could. When I figured it out I was embarassed but empowered.

I plan to use my new skills to help my traditional classroom advance beyond the teacher centered presentational minimal application style. I really hope to use it to free up class time to help individuals who are struggling better and complete more projects. If i am successful, much of my current classtime will be spent enjoying extended learning, while student homework is the true work of learning.

Creating my Moodle lesson was a crazy task. I setup initially pretty well, but I couldn't decide on how to teach the topic I thought I would teach. So I eventually decided to change topics. I went with the online tools topic because it felt like one of my areas of stronger learning. The practical side of knowing tools and how I can use them was very beneficial. I feel like that is something I can actually take with me. The overall moodle lesson was nice, in 521 I was able to develop a synchronous and asynchronous lesson. These were completely independent of an LMS like moodle. I really enjoyed making considerations for appearance and organization. This was huge to me. The creative control came into full perspective with the LMS support behind it to secure and archive my work and students work. It was great, I really value the ed tech classes I have taken - this is not a fluff suck up comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment